Making your own infused oils isn't as difficult as you may think! I use so many different oils for so many different all natural remedies, I love to make (most) of my own.
A FEW THINGS YOU MAY NEED: (depending on desired preparation)
- Your desired herbs / flowers *Organic is best* (I like to use dried herbs to prevent bacteria from forming in oil) (You can also crush the herbs if you'd like - this sometimes helps to pull out the most from the herbs)
- Large Storage jar with an airtight lid for infusion (I like to use Mason jars for this)
- Smaller storage jars (or you can keep oil in the larger one)
- Carrier oil that your herbs will infuse into (some options are Virgin Olive, Sweet Almond, Grapeseed, Hemp etc. it is best to look up the different oils to see which is good for what. Extra Virgin Olive oil is least expensive and easiest to obtain but I've put together a bit of a list HERE on choosing a carrier oil that's best suited for what you're making)
- A fine mesh Strainer or Cheesecloth
- Stove
- Pan
- Funnel
There are a few ways I do this.
Natural or Sun Infusion.
- Put herbs you wish to infuse in a jar that has an airtight lid. (Mason / jam jars work well for this)
- Fill the jar the rest of the way with your choice of oil (Or at least until the herbs are covered)
- Seal the jar with an airtight lid or cork.
- Leave the jar to brew on it's own, best in a sunny windowsill.
- Shake jar every few days - checking the scent / strength of the oil, straining and replacing herbs if a more powerful strength is desired. Usually allowing to brew 1-2 weeks or more.
- Strain using cheesecloth or a fine screen strainer & store in jar.
- Store in a dark cool place / in a dark bottle or depending - in the fridge.
Fast Infusion - Double Boiler / Heating Method
BE CAREFUL & USE OVEN MITTS IF HANDLING JAR!
- Put herbs you wish to infuse in a jar that has an airtight lid. (Mason / jam jars work well for this)
- Fill the jar the rest of the way with your choice of oil (or at least until the herbs are covered)
- Place the jar in a pan filled a quarter of the way full of water and turn on low - medium heat. (I leave mine somewhere between low & medium and I let it infuse for an hour - 2 hours or so. (I leave the lid off) Don't boil, and don't heat the glass up too hot as the jar may burst.
- Stir every few minutes. Be sure not to allow the water to get into the oil.
- Allow to cool,
- Strain out herbs using cheesecloth or a very fine strainer.
- Store in jars, either dark coloured or store in a cool dark place or in the fridge.
I recommend Mountain Rose Herbs & Starwest Botanicals for all of your herbal healing needs!
HAPPY INFUSING! ~ <3
Have you got any tips or tricks about infusing your own oils? Or even different blends you like to make? I'd love for you to share with me in the comments below!
Some of the links here are affiliate sites. & Please also see my disclaimer. Thanks Friends.
[caption id="attachment_736" align="alignleft" width="112"]
[caption id="attachment_611" align="alignleft" width="100"]
[caption id="attachment_582" align="alignleft" width="99"]

[…] Cayenne oil (or infuse your own) […]
ReplyDelete[…] (Make sure the essential oils you are using are pure and undiluted. OR you can try making your own) […]
ReplyDelete[…] infuse your own coffee oil to make this salve. I’ve got some info on infusing your own oils HERE. I used fresh ground coffee to make my oil or you can also make it from the used grounds after […]
ReplyDelete[…] 2 -3 tbs Cayenne infused oil or Cayenne Extract (Learn how to make your own oils Here) […]
ReplyDelete[…] my first batch I used peppermint oil I had made from Infusing my own oil. If you’re going to infuse your own oil, you can use it as your base oil and leave out the […]
ReplyDelete[…] part Calendula Infused Oil (Infusing Your Own Oils) (Where to purchase Calendula Flowers) (Where to purchase Calendula […]
ReplyDelete[…] To Infuse Your Own “Menstrual Cramps” Oil […]
ReplyDelete[…] tbs Calendula Infused Oil (Infusing Your Own Oils) (Where to purchase Calendula Flowers) (Where to purchase Calendula […]
ReplyDelete[…] suddenly hit me. CALENDULA! Why not try mixing some of my Calendula Infused Oil into the coconut oil for extra healing benefits. I had made up a Caledula Tea which helps speed up […]
ReplyDelete[…] 1 part Calendula Infused Oil (Infusing Your Own Oils) […]
ReplyDelete[…] favorite oil to use is calendula infused coconut oil. (Infusing your own oils) Sometimes I use our Calendula Healing Salve all over my face, neck and chest, and sometimes I use […]
ReplyDeleteStylostixis is predicated on ancient Chinese medication and uses skinny, fine needles that are placed on completely different elements of the body to unblock the flow of energy within the body's energy channels, or meridians.
ReplyDeleteMake sure the chair has good lumbar support, arms rest and
a firm cushion. In our daily lives this spectacular piece of our physical make-up is usually taken for
granted-- Until something goes wrong.
[…] Pumpkin Spice infused oil (Infusing your own oil) […]
ReplyDelete[…] Calendula Oil (Or learn how to infuse your own HERE – You will need dried Calendula Petals for […]
ReplyDelete[…] Calendula Infused Oil (You will need Calendula Flowers & Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Hemp Seed […]
ReplyDelete[…] Infused oil. (Infusing your own oils) ( You could swap this out for Sweet Almond Oil, or any other oil you […]
ReplyDelete[…] 1 tbs Calendula Infused oil (Infusing your own oils) […]
ReplyDelete[…] 100 ml Rosemary infused oil ( Infusing your own oil ) […]
ReplyDeleteHemp oil is amazing, but the only downfall is it has an extremely short shelf life, so if infusing I have found its best to do a fast infusing in a double boiler, and then use your oil right away, its too bad it doesn't last longer because it truly is a wonderful oil, ( I guess you could always store I. Refrigerator)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your input! I haven't personally made hemp oil but yes, the benefits are numerous! It probably would last a lot longer in the fridge. Small batches never hurt either. :)
ReplyDeleteAfter looking into a number of the articles on your blog, I honestly like your
ReplyDeleteway of writing a blog. I bookmarked it to my bookmark
site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my
web site as well and let me know what you think.